a1406: RE: a1224: Guantanamo Bay (fwd)

From: "Smith, Jennie" <jsmith@berry.edu>

I published a paper on what I learned in GTMO in 91, 92, and 93.  The info is below.  Hope it is helpful!

2000	Smith, Jennie M.  "If Only We'd Had Picket Fences:  The Detainment of Haitian Refugees at the Guantánamo Naval Base," 1991-1993 Selected Papers on Refugee and Immigrant Issues, Volume 8, American Anthropological Association, November.

My Master's Thesis was also on the topic:

1993 "Discourses, Practices and Contradictions of Control:  The Interdiction, Detention and Repatriation of Haitian Refugees-September 1991-May 1992," (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Department of Anthropology).

Jennie M. Smith, Chair
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Berry College, Box 5010
Mt. Berry, GA 30149-5010
t: 706-802-6730
f: 706-236-2205
jsmith@berry.edu

"Returning violence for violence multiples violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.  Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."  --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."  -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Speech in St. Louis, Missouri, March 22, 1964)