a1603: Morse on Jean Dominique

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

There was a nice memorial for Jean Dominique at Radio Haiti Inter on
Tuesday
April 2nd. The organizing committee was considering doing it at Champ de
Mars
but the folks weren't sure that the appropriate security measures would be
taken by those responsible. Zao and his band Djakata were at the memorial
as
were Boukman Experiance, Pierre Rigaud Cherie, Beehtovas Obas(sp?) and
Heritage. I saw Boulo Valcourt, though I didn't get to hear his set, and
RAM
was there. There was also a jazz band whose name regrettably escapes me.
6pm to
6 am. I guess my feeling on the whole subject is simply, if something
happened
to one of us Jean Dominique would have spoken out, but since he was the
victim,
we have to do what we can in return.
I believe a documentary on Jean Dominique's life was shown at the Imperial
Theatre on Wednesday the 3rd of April, but I coincidently had to come up
to New
Jersey on that day so i don't know how that went. I was warned by a friend
stay away from the screening as a precaution to potential violence. I
guess my
friend forgot that everyday, everywhere, there is a potential for
violence. I
had seen an earlier version of the documentary and its very powerful and
moving. I look forward to seeing its completion.

I also look forward to coming back to Haiti in a couple of days....

Richard Morse