12018: Morse/rumors and rambling

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

A rumor has been circulating in my head that the current Haitian government
is in the process of distancing itself from the liberal Black Caucus.
According to the rumors, President Aristide has allegedly been in secret
negotiations with the head of the National Rifle Association (NRA), Charlton
Heston, (Moses, to some), on a U.N. proposal considering a child's right to
bear arms. The initiative is going through a trial period in the different
buroughs of Port-au-Prince and has been a smashing success. There have even
been positive economic repercussions with the plan. Doctors, hospitals and
morgues have seen an increase in business, as have pharmacies and boutiques
selling first aid necessities.
The plan also includes expanding the <alphabetizasyon> program to four <r's>
instead of three: reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic and revolvers.
The Child's Right To Bear Arms program is seen as a way to try and make
ammends with the conservative Bush administration which has blocked all
foreign aid directed at building and buying multi-million dollar homes for
and from members of the Haitian Government.....
You can now get a 12% return a month on your investment in Haitian financial
institutions (No kidding, they're called cooperatives and they offer between
10 and 14% a month. Some offer home delivery!). I figure Haitians will all be
able to retire soon. Boy what a relief that will be.
Imagine a country full of retired Haitians taking cruises to the Bahamas and
Miami. Who needs Allan Greenspan.
There's a blue and white church in Croix des Bouquets and a blue and white
prison just behind it. I mention it but I don't understand it.
Does anyone know of any books on urban planning? If so, is there a chapter on
Port-au-Prince?
Jimmy Carter in Cuba. Did you know that when Haitian officials get shot they
usually get sent to Cuba for medical treatment. Thats not meant as a
derogeratory (sp?) comment. Its just something I've noticed over time. I
don't know if it is due to cost, politics or whether Cubans just have great
doctors.
There was a music festival on Congo Plage in Jacmel on May 1st which drew
quite a crowd. Thousands. The bands included: King Posse, Brothers Posse,
Mizik Mizik, RAM, Djakout Mizik, Sweet Micky, Tabou Combo, DJ Wanted and
others. It was the biggest free event I can remember seeing in Haiti which
was initiated and sponsored by the private sector.
The rainy season is wreaking havoc on certain streets in Port-au-Prince. Some
of these streets now look like dried out river beds during the day.
If its not one thing its another.
Anonymously yours,
Richard Morse