FromLeGrace Benson firstname.lastname@example.org
The statue located across from the National Palace is called Neg Mawon or Marron Inconnu and is by architect and sculptor Albert Mangones. It was done at about the time of the Bicentennial (1959). Mangones, still living, was one of the original members of the group of Haitian artists and intellectuals who wanted to found a center for the visual arts. With enthusiatic and skillful assistance from Dewitt Peters, in Haiti under the auspices of the US, they were able to get funds from US and the government of Haiti to create the now-famous Centre d'Art, still in operation in Port-au-Prince. Mangones may still be a member of their board of directors. An inquiry to Francine Murat at the Centre would probably yield a contact. Mangones was the architect for the present Mus"ee d'Art of the College St. Pierre, housing much of the important work done in Haiti 1954 to the present.
LeGrace Benson/Arts of Haiti Research Project
MAIN HAITI PAGE
|Art, Music, & Dance||Book Reviews||Film||History||Library||Literature|
|Mailing List||Miscellaneous Topics||Notes on Books||People to People||Voodoo|
HOMEBob Corbett email@example.com