By Robert Louis Stein
- Born: March 17, 1763
- Died: July 28, 1813
- June 2, 1792 appointed one of the commissioners to St. Domingue
- July 22, 1792 Sonthonax left France. 29 years old.
he wanted to enforce the law of April 4, 1792.
- Sept. 18, 1792 landed.
- Aug. 29, 1793 Sonthonax freed the slaves of the north.
from Stein on p. 79 "It was the most radical step of the Haitian Revolution and perhaps even of the French Revolution."
- 1795 Sonthonax wrote: quoted in Stein, p. 64 "We were perfectly forgotten by the government; we were
the lost sentinels of the Republic in the colonies."
- Aug. 24, 1797 Sonthonax left colonies for the final time.
- 1838 Louis Seguy de' Villevaleix, stepson of Sonthonax was Haiti's official who secured the final
ratification of the treaty of independence with France.
- From Mary Hassal's SECRET LETTERS
"...Sonthonax, a name which will always fill every Frenchman's breast with horror..." p. 74.