CRITICAL THINKING COURSE
PHIL .01: INTRODUCTION TO CRITICAL THINKING: SUMMER 2000
BOB CORBETT, INSTRUCTOR
- Corbett's general introduction to Critical Thinking.
- Objectives, Grading, Syllabus and Assignments
- Readings for this course which are not by Corbett
- Logic in Basketball, Literacy in College
This essay by Art Sandler of the Webster University Philosophy Department harks back to the days
when Webster was a college not a university, and when there were no general degree requirements. Graduation
requirements were that one have 128 hours of credit and a major.
- The Will To Believe
This essay by William James not only presents an interesting essay to practice basic skills
of critical analysis, but along the way raises some interesting content about thinking.
- Plants of the Gods This essay
by Wade Davis is a chapter from his book: SHADOWS IN THE SUN. Davis presents some challenging theses
that not only challenge some fundamental faith in contemporary science, but introduces us to his claims
concerning the scientific status of the field of ethnobotany.
- Reading for this course which are by Bob Corbett