Camp Scouthaven History
HISTORY: The camp is one
of the oldest scout summer camps in the United States. According to David Eby, "Scouthaven was purchased in 1918 but
was first called Camp Crystal as it
was located on Crystal Lake; it was not called Scouthaven until 1923.
It is a 400 acre camp and in the early years Scouts got to it by riding
a "milk" train which went by the camp. Eby goes on to state,
rather unique as it was a turn of the
century amusement park that was converted into a Scout camp. The dining
hall is the former dance hall from the park and the Camp Rangers office
is the railroad depot that was used at the park to drop off and pick up
The camp was originally owned by Buffalo Council (BC). In 1949, Erie
County Council (ECC) merged with Buffalo Council and the camp became
part of the Buffalo Area Council (BAC). The camp was still being used
as a summer camp when the Buffalo Area Council merged in 1967 with the
Niagara Frontier Council (NFC). The Greater Niagara Frontier Council
(GNFC) countinued to use Scouthaven as a summer camp for Boy Scouts
until the late 1980s. The camp closed as a Boy Scout summer camp after
the 1988 season.
However, in the mid 1990s Camp Scouthaven became the GNFC's
primary camp for Cub Scouts during the summer months. According to the
GNFC web page, "Camp Scouthaven is the perfect environment for
introducing Cub Scouts to the challenges of Scouting and the outdoors.
Spanning the entire north shore of Crystal Lake, Scouthaven is located
about 8 miles southeast of the Village of Arcade in Cattaraugus County
on Route 98. It encompasses more than 732 acres of rolling hills and
trees on beautiful Crystal Lake. The main campground is flat and open.
The lake is small and calm so even beginners can safely learn to swim
and navigate rowboats, canoes, and 'funyaks'."
is located at 10784 Route #98, Freedom, NY 14065-9763. Phone
Places To Visit!
WNY OA Patch
Chief and Advisor History
Scout Camp Memorabilia
Area/Section Conclave Memorabilia
Hulsizer's Patch Page
Site Page Last Updated