Camp Stonehaven History
Camp "Stone Haven" as it was originally called (later the camp name was
combined to the now familiar Camp Stonehaven) was purchased in 1946 by
the Niagara Frontier Council. The sixty-five acre site, located just
below the escarpment near Pekin, NY was designed for year round use for
weekend and short camping trips. Camp Stonehaven replaced Camp Moss
which ceased to be used for scout use in 1942 due to the fact it became
inadequate in area and facilities to accommodate the council needs.
Stonehaven was still being used as a weekend and short term camp when
the Niagara Frontier Council (NFC) merged with the Buffalo Area Council
in 1967. The Greater Niagara Frontier Council (GNFC) has continued to
use Stonehaven for this same purpose - weekend troop camping, hosting
District camporees and
OA Chapter Ordeal/Brotherhood induction weekends. The camp was also
used for Cub Scout Day Camps in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
has three spacious cabins, five lean-to shelters, and numerous
campsites surrounding a large rock quarry. The land, located just below
Bonds Lake Park near the Tuscarora Indian Reservation, is largely
undeveloped and has several interesting rock formations and other
historical sites such as "Frankenstein's Castle."
Much speculation exists as to the original use of the structure known
as "Frankenstein's Castle." The land that is now part of the camp was
originally a stone quarry. Indeed, the lakes are actually the old stone
quarries which have filled up with water, and the remains of an old
narrow gauge railbed can still be seen. The structure refered to as
"Frankenstein's Castle" supported and moved a cable system for moving
large stones up from the quarry, and/or loading them on to railroad
cars. The stone lean-to #7 and cabin #2 are along the old railroad
line. Although, the "Castle" itself is not actually on camp property.
Thanks to Joe Baschnagel, Don Izard, Army Leonetti, and Dirk Norwich
for their insights on "Frankenstein's Castle."
is located at 4670 Albright Rd., Ransomville, NY 14131. Phone
Places To Visit!
WNY OA Patch
Chief and Advisor History
Scout Camp Memorabilia
Area/Section Conclave Memorabilia
Hulsizer's Patch Page
Site Page Last Updated 12/29/07