Thunder Rock Scout Camp History

HISTORY:  Construction of the Camp 12 (the original name) began in 1928. By the 1930s the camp was used by a variety of groups. Thunder Rock Scout Camp was operated by the Seneca Council in 1941. The following year, the Buffalo Turn Verein (gymnasts) used the camp. Scouts returned in 1943. From 1943-1945 the Niagara Falls Area and later the Niagara Frontier Council operate Camp Thunder Rock. However, it is unclear whether Seneca Council also operated a camp at this location during this time period. In 1946, a private coed campground - Camp Arrowhead - took over the land until 1962. A nice historical web site of Camp Arrowhead is located at:

ADDRESS: Camp Thunder Rock was located in Allegany State Park, 2373 ASP Route 1, Salamanca, NY 14779

Places To Visit!

WNY OA Patch History
WNY Chief and Advisor History
WNY Summer Scout Camp Memorabilia
WNY OA Area/Section Conclave Memorabilia
Additional OA Links

Michael Hulsizer's Patch Page

Site Page Last Updated 07/29/06