COUN 5050: Human Growth and Development
Study Guide - Exam II
- Discuss Erikson's theory of psychosocial development including major premises, psychosocial crises, characteristics of each stage including basic strengths, major individuals involved, and malignant/maladaptive tendencies.
- Discuss Peck's theory of development in middle and late adulthood.
- Discuss Jung's theory of development in middle and late adulthood.
- Compare and contrast Jung, Erikson, and Pecks' theories of adult personality development.
- Discuss the concept of mid-life crisis drawing on works of Levinson, Neugarten, Farrell and Rosenberg, and Costa and McCrae.
- Provide evidence both for and against the issue of continuity versus change in personality across the life-span. You should be able to discuss each position and the supporting/nonsupporting empirical evidence (research) in relation to each.
- Discuss the understanding of the self as it develops from infancy through adolescence.
- Explain Damon and Harts' model of self understanding (self-as-object and self-as-subject).
- Discuss morality as respect for social rules, morality as justice, morality as care, and morality as empathy.
- Outline and discuss the various stages of Kohlberg's theory of moral development.
- Outline and discuss Gilligan's theory of moral development.
- Outline and discuss the various stages of Hoffman's theory of moral development.
- Compare and contrast the theories of Hoffman, Gilligan, and Kohlberg as they relate to moral development. Do you think these theories are mutually exclusive?
- Discuss normative developmental issues as they relate to parent-child relationships and attachment from infancy through adolescence (pp. 456-479).
- Discuss issues of attachment as proposed by Bowlby and Ainsworth, and discus how disruptions in attachment may impact development.
- Discuss gender and cultural differences in attachment patterns.
- Differentiate between the concepts of attachment and bonding.
- Describe the "stange situation". What does the cross-cultural information tell us about attachment behavior in children?
- Discuss the impact of friendship and peer interaction on development.
- Discuss the issue of storm and stress in adolescence. Provide empirical evidence related to the myth of storm and stress.
Back to Human Growth and Development Page
Please feel free to e-mail with comments or questions